Ok, so you've made it through the major phases of finishing a basement. How do you know when you're ready to start the drywall stage for your finished basement?
Have you passed both your framing and electrical inspections? If the answer is yes, then you're ready for drywall. If not, you still have some work to do. Don't do it, don't skip the inspections!
Installing drywall in your basement is bitter-sweet. On the one hand you're finally turning the corner from working on your basement to finishing your basement. On the other hand, all of your masterful framing, plumbing and electrical accomplishments are about to be covered up forever.
When I was getting close to the drywall stage of my basement finishing project I had a ton of questions:
- How much is installing drywall in my basement going to cost?
- What thickness of drywall should I buy?
- Do I install drywall in the basement bathroom? Or do I need some sort of special waterproof sheet rock?
- People told me that hanging drywall is super dusty. How dusty? What do I have to do to prep?
- How long will it take to install it.
- How heavy is a sheet of drywall? Can I lift a sheet on my own?
- What drywall tools and books do I need if I'm going to do it myself?
I'm going to write about all of the questions above but the big question to start with is... [Read more...]